It is possible to have delicious baked goods with less fat. It seems like everyone is watching what they eat nowadays, but that doesn’t mean you can’t eat foods that are still tasty. By making some simple changes to your favourite recipes you can make them healthier while still keeping that taste you love so much.
Most often your favourite baking recipes have very specific requirements. This means that you might have to test out switching or changing things up in a recipe to make sure that it will still work. One great way to do this is by splitting your recipe into thirds and trying something new with each smaller potion. This way you can test out three alternatives at the same time to see which one works best. Just make sure to keep them straight through the baking process. Here are a few of the best ways to make your baked goods healthier by cutting the fat.
One of the best and most effective ways of making your baked treats healthier is by swapping out fatty ingredients for healthier choices. There are many ways to do this. Here is a listing of just a handful of ways to change the foods you love to eat.
– Often butter can be replaced with applesauce. Measure the same amount of applesauce as you would normally use for butter.
– Applesauce can also replace oil, but you can only take out about half the oil for a baking recipe.
– Switch out regular butter for one of the healthier butter replacements..
– Use skimmed milk instead of whole and full fat milk.
– Instead of using sour cream try plain or Greek-style yoghurt.
– Try using ricotta cheese or low-fat cottage cheese instead of cream cheese.
– A great replacement for cream is evaporated skim milk; it can be switched out for the complete measurement.
– Instead of using a whole egg, try two egg whites as a replacement. There are also many egg substitutes that can be used; which are often healthier than the egg itself.
– For each ½ cup of shortening your recipe calls for, replace it with 1/3 cup of canola or vegetable oil.
– Try using smashed bananas or apple butter as a replacement for half of the butter measurement. This will not only make the food healthier, but it will add an interesting change to the flavour.
There are many great tasting recipes out there including some excellent lasagne recipes that mean quick healthy recipes can be back on the menu for everyone.